Sunday, April 05, 2009

The defining moment

Yesterday was my company’s Anniversary Party (more on that another time – it was super fun though and made me proud to be part of the company), but I needed a nice outfit. So Kenzie and I went to the mall for some shopping. I was in the changing room with her and we had this conversation:

K: Mummy, if you come to visit me at school and Shannon says something not nice to you, don’t believe her.

Me: what are you talking about, what would she say?

K: she might say that you need to work out more.

Me: oh, well that wouldn’t be very nice.

K: I know, but she said that to Logan’s mom

Me: do you think I need to go on a diet and work out more?

K: No, I think you are perfect, but Shannon might think you need to work out.

It made me so sad. I’ve always worried a bit about when the time will come that our kids are embarrassed about me (it almost always happens at some point on a child’s life that they are embarrassed by their mom). But I never expected a situation where one of the kids would see a flaw or imperfection and feel protective of me. In any case, that was the moment where I realized I need to lose weight! I have fallen into bad habits over the last few months and have put on almost 15 lbs since last summer when we went to the Dominican. So starting today:

1. No more alcohol!!
2. no junk food
3. drink lots of water
4. make sure the majority of my meals are fruits and veggies
5. get out and be active with the kids as often as possible

So, wish me luck.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Karen, that makes me so sad that Kenzie overheard that and felt bad for telling you. Something similar happened like that to me this weekend which made me very upset but also made me look at myself and know that I have to make changes.
Hugs,
Ashleigh

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you luck . I'm in that boat as well. I reeeallly need to lose weight. Getting motivated is my problem. Hopefully with the weahter getting nicer , we'll both succeed.
Linda

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's total crap and you should call the mom that said it on the carpet.....I think you look great just the way you are! : )
love,
rachel

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there my name is Rasheeda and I am a single mom of three living with a brain tumor. I am being stalked by my ex-boyfriend. He will kill me given the chance I see it in his eyes. I writing you in hope that you can help me fundraise so I can raise enough money to relocate my children. Everyday I live in pain and in fear please help me I want out I just want to live again. Thank you

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home