Sunday, September 28, 2008

new job

so I just got a new job. It was actually initiated through a recruiter, Chris. He called me first to see if I'd be interested in managing a new office the firm was opening in downtown Toronto. I said no because downtown Toronto is too long of a commute to do on a daily basis, especially during rush hour traffic. He then asked where I lived and when I told him, he asked me if I’d be willing to talk to the firm about a position in their head office which is actually about 15 minutes drive from my house and half a mile from CJ’s office. He started telling me about the company:
- Relatively new, small (100 people) consulting firm;
- Reputation in the industry for exceptional services (which I proceeded to verify by talking to some of their existing clients)
- Rated 4th best employer in Canada based on amazing benefits such as:
o Ability to work from home
o Flexible hours
o ability to take days off and make them up during the week without taking vacation
o Emergency daycare for all employees
o 4-day work weeks during the summer
o Annual bonuses for EVERY employee
o Flat corporate structure
o Employee-owned (shared offers to EVERY employee)
o Extra vacation days for employees who volunteer in the community
- Focused on environmentally supportive design and sustainable transportation

So of course my interest was piqued and sent over my CV. After a fairly length interview process they presented me with a fantastic offer. It’s a position that is totally exciting and challenging for me. I am excited and nervous at the same time (but that’s the way work should make you feel right? A friend of mine said to me “ if you feel comfortable in your current position, it’s probably time to make a move, because soon you’ll be bored”. Which I agree with). Not only that but the salary and benefits were pretty attractive too. So I decided to make the move. This is only my 3rd job since I graduated 15 years ago. So I don’t move around a lot and I’m nervous about starting at a new place again. But I just couldn’t pass up this opportunity.
One more thing… every one I spoke to at the company, from the receptionist, to the HR folks, to some VPs, to the president… they all exude enthusiasm, friendliness and excitement. I am totally psyched to be part of that.

So, November 3rd I’ll be starting the new job. Wish me luck.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy J said...

Awesome, Karen! Sounds like a great place to work. Congratulations!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

YAY Karen! I knew you would get it.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Missy Glave said...

Congratulations on your new job Karen!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Karen!

-Ashleigh

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fantastic! I am very happy for you.
Hey, I miss hearing from you on the board. I know you have been busy. I wanted to call you tonight, but realized I do not have your number.
This new job sounds like an awesome deal on so many levels. Very cool.
Love, Leigh

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home