Monday, May 05, 2008

First Dance Recital

Kenzie was in her first dance recital yesterday. She was fantastic. At home, before the show, she was all excited. After her bath I did her hair in tight braids which I pinned up into a bun and fastened with a ton of elastics and bobby pins and then hair sprayed until her hair was hard as rock. She was ecstatic to try on her costume and show us a few of her dance moves. And she was over the moon he was so excited to get real make-up put on her.

IMG_0819

IMG_0812


When we got to the theatre (which was an actual theatre with designated seats, theatre seating style - for probably about 500) though she became pretty quiet - Poor thing. She looked really nervous. I took her into the “dressing room” to help her get dressed.

IMG_0828

IMG_0830


Then I asked her if she wanted me to stay or leave (there were other kids and teachers there) and she could barely get out “whatever you want, I don’t mind”. I decided to go. I didn’t want to make her even more nervous but hovering around.

So we sat down. CJ, Sebastian (who earlier in the day had had several meltdowns because HE wanted to be on stage, and HE wanted to have a costume to wear and HE wanted make-up… ha!), Omi and I. We had front row seats (they were lottery style so we totally lucked out). Kenzie’s class was the third act. I was glad they were towards the beginning since I knew they’d be nervous waiting. They did so great. Kenzie had the most serious expression on her face the whole time. She just watched her teacher and did everything she did. And then their performance was over! We all clapped so hard!

After the performance Omi and I went to get Kenzie from the dressing room. Omi gave her a bouquet of flowers and I gave her a little bear. She looked so happy and so proud of herself. She must have been on cloud nine. Here we are in the dressing room after the performance (I like being pictured beside the Boo cause she makes me look really tanned - ha!!!).

IMG_0838


On the way out we passed Rachel Wood who had another rose to give to Kenzie. I thought that was so sweet.

So it was a very successful first recital. I hope she still wants to dance again next year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

Karen, I can just feel your and Kenzie's excitement through this post. K looks so grown up and beautiful! I am glad she had such a good time and enjoyed herself.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Amy J said...

She is so adorable, Karen!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home