Monday, August 29, 2005

Fall memories

The days are getting shorter, the mornings cooler. I love fall.

I think it stems back to my childhood. Every October in Southern Ontario, when all the leaves turned amazing shades of red, yellow and orange (you just don't get those colours on the west coast) my mum, sister and I would put on our thick warm sweaters and go to the park. We would take a long walk through the woods and then end up at the apple orchard where Andrea and I would climb the apple trees and pick tons of delicious Macintosh apples. We'd come home tired from all the fresh air, with rosey cheeks and feeling happy. I'd make apple crisp (or Dad would make an apple pie). That evening after dinner the four of us would sit around the kitchen table playing Kanasta while the pie/crisp baked in the over. The smell was mouth-watering.

We'd take a break from playing cards to eat heaping bowls of crisp smothered in vanilla ice cream.

Wow... those are some pretty damn good memories.

I hope Kenzie and Seb have some great memories like that, to look back on when they are older.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bek said...

What's with the BLOG SPAM? What a PITA! I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else talk about Kanasta as a family pastime. We used to stay up until the wee hours playing together when I was younger. Sounds like a happy time. :D

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home