Saturday, December 31, 2005

The Jo's Ho's

5 years ago, before we or any of our friends had any kids (Samantha excepted), CJ and I led a very different life. We went to work and spent the rest of our lives doing whatever we damn well felt like doing. At least 4 evenings a week we'd meet up with friends at our local watering hole - Smokey Jo's. It was our Cheers. We'd walk in and everyone knew our name... and we'd know everyone else. We'd sit in our usual spots, the bartender would give us our "usual" drinks without us having to order. We'd spend the next 3, 4, 5 hours chatting with our good friends, smoking cigarettes, watching sports on TV and laughing! we did a lot of laughing. ... and crying (Tom, I miss you and still think about you every day). I remember when we got stranded in Jo's during a snow storm one evening. I wanted it to keep snowing all night. It was warm and cosy and I was with my "peeps".

Fast forward to now... many of us have children. Smokey Jo's was sold and is now under new ownship. It is a place for the younger folks.. a bit of a pick up joint. We are all older and tired. Most of the time we'd rather sleep than go out. We don't stay out late because sleeping in the next morning is no longer an option.

Well, yesterday morning my good friend Dawn sent out an email to all the "ladies". Who wants to go out for a drink tonight? 9:00 The Central

I was torn. 9:00? But that is so late. But then I responded.. YES! I need to go out and see my gal pals. Luckily, many of the others felt the same way.

At 9:00 last night we met up at the Central... Dawn, Rachel, Hadley, Christy, Nabila, Deb, - the Jo's Ho's! ... of course, some of the men were there too (Andy, Nick, Tim). It felt almost like old times. It was wonderful! I felt young again. I felt whole. Girls, I love you so much. We are so lucky to have each other. We all know so much about each other. We have history. We MUST make this a regular thing. No more excuses. A night out like last night is essential. Way motre important that a decent night's rest. You have boosted my spirits tremendously. I can't wait to see you all again next week.

xoxoxoxxo

- Your friend Karen

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen- Although I was not around during the Jo's Ho's days, I know I would have loved hanging out with you ladies then too! Losing sleep these days chatting with good friends makes it all worthwhile. Thanks for always including me in your plans. I am very lucky to have dropped in and stayed awhile!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home